Prerequisite: English 10
The objective of this course is to advance the student’s skills in composition and literary analysis. This class will explore the literary and informational texts of American authors and the impact of these texts on our society and culture.
- Expository Writing with Informational Mentor Texts
- Literary Analysis with Classic (The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger) and Contemporary Literature (Lit Circles based on student choice)
- Narrative Writing with Short Stories from 18th, 19th, and 20th century
- Argumentative and Informational Writing with Non-fiction Mentor Texts
- Research Project (Student choice of topic)
Theory of Action
As an English department, we are committed to ensuring that our students have authentic and rigorous experiences with multiple forms of texts and writing opportunities which will help them be successful inside and outside of the classroom. It is our ongoing mission to create engaging learning environments that are intentionally planned to motivate students to become insightful thinkers and effective communicators.