Main Menu

Explore More

College Admission Tests

Whether you are heading to a 2 year college or a 4 year college or even the military, all require some type of placement test. These tests are used as part of admissions requirements and to place students in their first year of college in the correct math and english courses. Although we may oversee or administer college admissions tests, they are handled through institutions outside of high school. 

Types tests:

  • PSAT 
    • The PSAT stands for Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. The PSAT is offered only one time per year. Juniors considering attending a four-year college should take the test. Sophomores are encouraged to take it for practice. The test measures the reading, math, and writing skills that you have developed over the years. You will see how you perform compared to other juniors or sophomores who are also thinking about going on to college. It is also great practice for the SAT, which you will take in the spring of your Junior year. 


If you are attending a 4 year college you will need to take the ACT or SAT. Either entrance exam is accepted by all 4 year colleges. 

  • ACT (American College Testing), to register or find dates, times, and locations go to
  • SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) is through college board. To register or find dates, times, and locations of the SAT go to

  • Accuplacer is a placement test that 2 year colleges and trade schools use in place of the ACT or SAT. It is also managed through college board and most if not all 2 year colleges have the placement test held on their campus for a small fee.